The Amazing Spider Tank

The Amazing Spider Tank
Spider-Tank, Spider-Tank. Does whatever a Spider-Tank does. Can he swing from a web? No he can't, he's a tank. Look out! He is a Spider-Tank!

Monday, November 7, 2016

Epic Dark Draft Decisions (3)

Welcome to the 3rd Dark Draft Decisions! Here is a rundown of what I'll be doing:

I use a random card generator to generate a hand of 5 cards from a complete singleton set of Epic, which includes the Core, the Tyrants, and new Uprising sets. I will then analyze the hand and decide what I would tend to pick if I were to draw that hand in the Dark Draft format of play. I will decide which card to pick if I got that pack, as well as which 2 cards I'd pick if I got the remaining 4. For the sake of consistency, I will assume this is the first pack I open.

For your information and as a reminder, here are the Dark Draft rules from the official website:

Dark Draft (2 players)
  • Shuffle a stack of at least 120 cards. Deal 5 to each player.
  • Each player takes 1 card out of their hand of five cards and drafts it, then passes the other 4 to the other (at the same time).
  • Each player takes 2 cards out of their new hand of four cards and drafts them, then discards the remaining two cards into a shared face-down discard pile.
Both players now have drafted three cards. Repeat nine times to get to a 30-card deck, shuffle and play.
This is a fun, fast, and skill-testing draft format for two players. Many of our competitive events use this format in the playoff rounds. This format is used in our World Championship. Source: http://www.epiccardgame.com/formats-draft/
So what do we have for today?

 



I like this pack too. There are some really good things here. Angelic Protector is a nice addition because of Airborne, Ambush, and that high health, not to mention it's almost impossible to get rid of the turn it comes in. You can even use it on offense to play it to boost your really good attacker to prevent removal. Citadel Scholar I am not a huge fan of but it is a 0-cost, which are needed in this format, and it has the potential to get big and force your opponent to spend gold to break it. Divine Judgment is a board sweeper and those are always helpful. Raxxa's Curse is one of my favorite cards as it will almost always find use in a match. The Risen isn't great in general, but in Limited if you can find yourself with some other zombies on the board, or a Soul Hunter that just entered play from your discard pile, then this card can be quite useful.

I think I would have to go with Divine Judgement as my first pick. This one hurts a little as I really love Raxxa's Curse, but you NEED to have access to board sweepers in Dark Draft, and I just can't pass one up in the first round. I also really don't want to give it to my opponent. It has to be played on your turn, but it's a great answer to pesky Sea Titans and Steel Golems.

 

If I am given the remainder pack I personally wouldn't have any issues with grabbing Angelic Protector and Raxxa's Curse. For reasons already stated I think they are both very decent cards, and neither force me into a color which is great early on in Dark Draft. Those choices give me a little of everything that I need in a Dark Draft deck, which is a 0-cost removal spell with a draw option, and a body with evasion and ambush. I would be very happy with this pack no matter if I opened it or was passed it.

Thus wraps up my 3rd attempt at Dark Draft Decisions! I hope you enjoyed it, please feel free to leave a comment, as as always, happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment