The Amazing Spider Tank

The Amazing Spider Tank
Spider-Tank, Spider-Tank. Does whatever a Spider-Tank does. Can he swing from a web? No he can't, he's a tank. Look out! He is a Spider-Tank!

Friday, March 19, 2021

Keyforge: Top 5 Untamed Reprints from Dark Tidings

We are at the end of this little series. Unfathomable is too new to have reprints (other than Valoocanth), and I doubt we'll get a House that alphabetically comes after Untamed for a while. If you are just joining us, please check out the other Houses in the series: Logos, Sanctum, Saurian, Shadows, and Star Alliance. We are looking at Untamed's Top 5 Reprints from Dark Tidings! Here is the list of reprints we are getting back, along with their card number and rarity.
Blossom Drake - 379 - R
Chonkers - 380 - R
Creed of Nature - 381 - R
Eldest Bear - 383 - R
Fertility Chant - 384 - R
Fuzzy Gruen - 385 - R
Lupo the Scarred - 386 - R
Piranha Monkeys - 388 - R
Punctuated Equilibrium - 390 - R
Stampede - 392 - R
Word of Returning - 395 - R
World Tree - 396 - R
Bumblebird - 399 - U
Fangtooth Cavern 401 - U
Gebuk - 402 - U
Growth Surge - 404 - U
Instrument of Silence - 405 - U
Kangaphant - 406 - U
Mushroom Man - 407 - U
Ritual of Balance - 409 - U
Floomf - 417 - C
Keyfrog - 419 - C
Persistence Hunting - 423 - C
The Fittest - 425 - C

I haven't been this excited about Untamed since Keyforge first came out. I feel as though the previous 2 sets at least have been well below the power level of the first 2. I say this even with my top WC deck having Untamed in it. But I think Untamed is coming into their own in this set. I really like how Untamed is starting to carve out their identity niche with +1 power counters. I feel as though they've had it, but this set really starts using them in interesting ways. Hopefully Brobnar and Mars can figure themselves out by the time they return to Keyforge. I do think that Untamed has some of the worst reprints in the set (looking at you Gebuk and Kangaphant), but it also has some really awesome ones that will really help their playstyle and identity. Let's get into it!

#5 The Fittest
Like most of my #5s, I had some trouble narrowing this down. I liked Growth Surge for the power counters, I really like Persistence Hunting for it's synergy with Unfathomable, and I Piranha Monkeys for a possible soft board wipe. However, I decided on The Fittest since it only gives friendly creatures +1 power counters (unlike Growth Surge which technically you'd have to choose an opponent's creatures if you had none). It also hit all friendly creatures instead of just friendly Untamed like Bumblebird. I think there are a lot of really good creatures in this set with great abilities if you can manage to keep them alive. This card helps with that, and gives you an amber bonus. +1 power counters are also very important to Untamed in this set, with a lot of cards using them. 






#4 Fangtooth Cavern
This is a very hit and miss kind of card. It can be amazing, but it can backfire horribly and only hurt you. I think it is a little more consistent in this set, though. There looks to be lots of really good low power creatures in this that you'd like to be rid of if your opponent has them. Untamed also gives you access to lots of  +1 power counters, which seems like you should have an advantage in power over most decks. And with the lack of direct damage and removal, I feel as though any amount you can have could really help a deck.










#3 Keyfrog
Not my favorite key cheat in Untamed's arsenal, and less likely to have the wonderful double damage pip bonus icons thanks to fewer enhancement cards in general, but Keyfrog nonetheless can help close out games. There seems to be a lot of amber burst potential, especially for Untamed, in this set. When that happens, you want key cheats to use it before your opponent can do anything about it. Keyfrog can help that happen. You will most likely need another card to help you quickly remove it, but there are a couple in the set that could help you. With massive card draw and combos being a somewhat common sight in this set, I think the few key cheats we have will make a big difference.








#2 Punctuated Equilibrium
I love this card. I smile every time I see a deck with it. It almost always pays off positively in my favor when I play it. It's a wonderful feeling to play a bunch of cards, and then play this and get a chance of playing some more. It's an even better feeling to play this card after your opponent has a ton of cards in their hand after an awesome combo they pulled off on the turn before. Nothing will wipe off their smug look of inevitable satisfaction faster. I don't like to be a killjoy, but I make an exception with people that get to draw tons of cards in Keyforge. I'm jealous, and if I can't have it, nobody can. And it seems a lot more likely that massive card draw is going to be a pretty common place in this set.







#1 Word of Returning
As much as I love Punctuated Equilibrium and believe it is even more potent in this set, I feel as though Word of Returning is just as impactful. I remember when WC was first spoiled, and after looking at the new Saurians, I immediately began scouring my collection for decks with Word of Returning. I searched online for good deals on decks with the card, and although my budget did not allow for a spending spree at the time, I was pleased at recognizing the importance of this card so early. I don't think anything has changed since then. Actually, it may even be more useful in this set. Although we don't have tons of wards in this set like WC, it does seem like the vast majority of amber control is based on capturing amber. This is where Word of Returning shines, giving all that sweet amber back to you, no matter the protection. Also, this set doesn't have the board wipes like we're used to, thanks to Dis's Disappearance (hahahaha get it?! Never gets old!). So Word of Returning actually has a good chance of destroying stuff as well. 


Shoutout to Fuzzy Gruen

I would be remised if I didn't mention Fuzzy Gruen. For those of you that don't know, I am the very proud captain and creator of Team Fuzzy Gruens, our local Keyforge team (we have stickers and everything!). We are very small, but have had great showings at top level events in the past. And although Covid has put a stop to OP, I can't wait to get back into it eventually. That being said, it's always been nice to see Fuzzy Gruen all over the place in Keyforge (I don't have the plush yet, since they didn't have them in time for my last Vault Tour). In this set, we get not just one, but two Fuzzy Gruens! I will eternally be disappointed that the newest one isn't named Fuzzsea Gruen, but whatever. FFG did make it up to us by making it common, giving us a chance at more Gruens in our decks, and arguably better than the original!
-

I think an argument could be made for switching my final #1 and #2 cards, but I feel pretty good about both of them being highly desirable reprints in this set. I know I personally would love to have one/both of them in every deck I open. I would love to hear that you agree (please, I crave the reassurance). If not, that's ok, I'll choke back the tears and debate vigorously over the internet. I invite the discussion! I hope you enjoyed this little series. I had fun making it, and I believe it will help me prepare for when I start opening my own Dark Tidings decks. I look forward to writing some more as we approach everyone around the globe having access to Dark Tidings. Until then, thanks for reading, and happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment